In this guide we explain how to use the most popular types of vapes. We’re going to start at the very beginning so if you don’t know how to get started and want basic info, this is the guide for you.
If you’re about to order your first vape – or you’ve already placed an order and are waiting for your device to arrive – this is the vaping instruction manual for you. In this guide, we’re going to explain how to use all of the most popular types of vapes, including disposable vapes and pod systems. Most importantly, we’re going to start at the very beginning. If you don’t know how to get started and need basic advice about how to charge a vape – or even how to inhale – you’re going to find the information you need here.
Before we get too far ahead of ourselves, we’ll begin with a basic overview that we think you’ll find helpful. How does a vape work, and what’s actually happening when you puff on a vaping device?
How Does a Vape Work?
A vaping device is essentially a heating element connected to a power source. The heating element is similar to the element in a toaster. In the presence of an electrical current, the element heats up and vaporizes any liquid that touches it. When you vape, you inhale the vapour produced by your device’s heating element.
The liquid used in vaping is called e-liquid or vape juice. The e-liquid contains the nicotine that satisfies your cravings, and it also contains the flavours that make vaping enjoyable. A vaping device has a tank, pod or strip of fabric that holds the e-liquid in place until you’re ready to use it. As you vape, a wick transports the e-liquid to the heating element until the tank or pod has no vape juice remaining. At that point, you’ll need to refill or discard the device depending on the type of vape that you’re using.
How Long Does a Vape Last?
How long a vape lasts depends on the type of device you’re using. At Premium Vape, we focus on the types of products that are most likely to appeal to new vapers – devices that closely simulate the act of smoking and deliver a strong nicotine sensation with each puff. A device that’s designed to feel like smoking will usually have tight airflow characteristics – like a cigarette – and will produce a relatively small amount of vapour with each puff. The modest vapour production and high nicotine delivery help to ensure that most small vaping devices are very economical to use because it takes a while for them to run out of e-liquid.
- A device with pre-filled replaceable pods such as the JUUL® will typically last around one full day of vaping per pod.
- A disposable vape that delivers up to 800 puffs will typically last around two to four full days of vaping before it runs out of e-liquid or battery power.
How to Charge a Vape
A rechargeable vaping device generally has a USB port and usually includes the required cable for charging. To charge the device, you’ll simply connect it to your computer’s USB port. The device will have an indicator light that shows the battery’s status, and the light will either change colour or turn off when charging is complete.
Some vaping devices – particularly pod systems with pre-filled pods – use proprietary charging cables or docks and do not have USB ports. If you have a device with a proprietary charger, you’ll charge your device by connecting the cable or dock to your computer’s USB port and connecting the device to the charger.
How to Inhale a Vape
With almost all of the vaping devices sold here at Premium Vape, the ideal way to inhale is by using the mouth-to-lung style. That’s the same inhaling style that you use when smoking a cigarette. When you use the mouth-to-lung inhaling style, you’ll draw the vapour into your mouth and then inhale all of it at once.
Some people prefer to vape using a different technique called the direct-to-lung inhaling style. With this inhaling style, you inhale the vapor directly to your lungs instead of drawing it into your mouth first. The direct-to-lung inhaling style is great if you enjoy huge clouds, but it doesn’t feel anything like smoking and only works well with very low-nicotine e-liquids. For those reasons, we recommend sticking with the mouth-to-lung inhaling style if you’re new to vaping.
Regardless of the type of device you’re using, it’s important to puff very gently when you vape – much more gently than you would puff when smoking a cigarette. When you vape, you’re inhaling a vaporized liquid. If you inhale too firmly, you’ll draw the e-liquid out of your device’s tank or pod. That will either result in a leak or in e-liquid squirting into your mouth.
How to Use a Disposable Vape
We’ll conclude our guide on how to use a vape with some instructions that you’ll find helpful for the three types of devices that you’re most likely to buy if you’re new to vaping. We’ll start with the simplest type of device; follow these instructions to use a disposable vape.
- Remove the device from its package. Some disposable vapes have protective tabs designed to prevent their batteries from discharging. If your device has a tab, you’ll need to remove it to vape.
- Puff on the disposable vape as if it were a cigarette. Disposable vapes deliver nicotine almost as efficiently as tobacco cigarettes, so you should try to puff about the same number of times that you would puff on a cigarette when smoking. After puffing on the device a few times, put it down for a while to gauge your satisfaction level.
- Dispose of the device according to local regulations when the light starts blinking. A blinking disposable vape usually indicates that the battery is dead or that the device is out of e-liquid.
How to Use a Pre-Filled Pod System
A pod vaping system is nearly as user friendly as a disposable vape in that there’s little maintenance to perform other than recharging the device when the battery dies and replacing the pod when it runs out of e-liquid. With a pod system, you also get the benefit of not needing to buy an entirely new device every time your battery runs out of power. Here’s how to use a pre-filled pod system.
- Charge the device by connecting it to your computer with the charging cable or cradle. When the light changes colour or turns off, the device is ready to use.
- Insert a pod into the device and puff on the mouthpiece to vape. Like disposable vapes, pre-filled pod systems often have higher nicotine strengths – so you’ll want to pause after a few puffs to gauge your level of satisfaction before you continue.
- Check the pod if the device stops producing vapour when you puff. A pre-filled pod system usually has temperature protection to ensure that you won’t experience a harsh “dry hit” when the pod is nearly out of e-liquid. When the pod is nearly empty, the device’s vapour production will decrease. When the pod is completely empty, the device will stop producing vapour. At that point, it’s time to replace the pod.
- If your pod system blinks when you try to vape – and the e-liquid in the pod hasn’t run out – it’s time to recharge the battery.
How to Use a Refillable Pod System
Refillable pod systems are a bit more advanced than pre-filled devices because using them requires a little more maintenance. In addition to recharging the device when the battery dies, you’ll also need to maintain the pod by refilling it when it’s low on e-liquid and by replacing the atomizer coil – or the entire pod in some cases – when you’re no longer happy with the flavour. Here’s how to use a refillable pod system.
- Charge the device by connecting it to your computer with the included charging cable. When the light changes colour or turns off, the device is ready to use.
- Remove the pod from the device and open it. In most cases, you’ll open the pod by lifting a silicone cover on the side of the pod or by wiggling the pod’s mouthpiece until it comes off. Add e-liquid until the pod is almost full and replace the mouthpiece or silicone cover.
- Let the pod stand for several minutes before vaping to ensure that the pod’s wick has fully absorbed the e-liquid.
- Vape by puffing on the device as if you were puffing on a cigarette. Some refillable vaping devices also have manual fire buttons. In that case, you can also vape by puffing on the device while holding the fire button.
- Refill the pod when you notice that the level of e-liquid is getting low. Most refillable pod systems do not have automatic temperature control and will produce a burnt flavour if the e-liquid doesn’t fully cover the pod’s wick.
- Recharge the battery if your device’s light blinks when you try to vape.
Have Another Question? We’re Here to Help
In this article, we hope that we’ve given you a better idea of how to use a vape and how you can expect your new device to work. Every vaping device is unique, though, and it’s possible that you might encounter a situation we haven’t described here. Our blog is full of vaping info that might answer your question, this includes info about how to choose the right nicotine strength and how to reduce it over time as part of your smoking cessation program. And if you feel completely lost, don’t hesitate to get in touch. Our friendly vaping experts are standing by and are always happy to answer your questions.